POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : can some one help me with rotational extrapolation !!! ? : Re: can some one help me with rotational extrapolation !!! ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: can some one help me with rotational extrapolation !!! ?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Jan 2001 21:05:27
Message: <chrishuff-32ACDA.21070609012001@news.povray.org>
Well, the vrotate() function may do what you want. It takes a point and
rotation vector, and returns the result of rotating that point.
The vtransform() function in MegaPOV may also be helpful to you, it
takes actual transformations instead of just a rotation vector, but you
have to use a non-standard version of POV.

About a separate program that does this: I'm not sure how useful that
would be. The scale, rotate, and matrix transformations can change
orientation and shape as well as position, and I don't think raw numbers
representing a point will be very useful in visualizing transformations.
And calculating a position with an external program and entering it into
the scene file won't be as precise as entering the transformations
themselves, and the result won't be anywhere near as readable. (How is
someone reading the source supposed to know that a sphere at
xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx is the result of a simple translation and rotation?)

If you just want the math, you can find it on one of the matrix tutorial
pages, like http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/matrix.htm, or look in
the POV-Ray source code(matrices.c, Compute_Rotation_Transform()).

--
Christopher James Huff

<><